.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Can I take your order?
Quick Rant:

I need to take a minute and check my passport just to make sure that I'm an American in America. The United States of America that is. I just came back from McDonald's up the street from work to get a fruit/yogurt parfait and and orange juice, and I'm really kind of salty that I had to place my entire order in spanish. I knew things weren't going to be right when I pulled up to the drive-thru speakerbox to order and I heard, "Bienvenido a McDonald's". When I asked if she spoke english, she said, "No seƱora". Great. I didn't feel like going inside to order, and I didn't want to ask for a manager to ream them out for not having an english speaking person at the drive-thru. Not today, no time for that. So I ordered in spanish, with my Spanish III skills, and drove up. I got my food and managed to find out that the girl who took my order was just filling in for another girl while she was in the restroom, so it wasn't an issue.

I'm not even about to go on the tirade about immigration, partially because I'm the daughter of an immigrant and partially because I'm not about to touch that arguement with a ten-foot pole. I'll leave that to the political talking heads or for a day that's not today. I just want to know when it became okay for me to have to order my food in a language that's not english when I'm in the USA. It could have been french, russian, or whatever and I'd still be having the same concerns. Seriously. I don't mind going in certain neighborhoods and seeing billboards in 2 languages (where I'm from, you'll see billboards in French since we're pretty close to the border with Quebec--so it's not just a spanish/english thing). I don't give a damn if people speak whatever language with their friends and family. But I do have a problem going into a business like McD's and having to scrounge up my language skills to get some breakfast. If it were a small, perhaps family-owned establishment, I probably wouldn't care so much. But McD's in the DC Metro? Yeah I care. And I'm salty cuz it's not the first time. I've had it happen at Subway, the Car Wash, a taxicab, and now here.

Sigh, I think I'm just grouchy this morning.

Ok, rant done. Have a good day yall. Hit me up in the comment box. Have yall had the same types of experiences?


11 Comments:

Blogger Jazzy said...

I woulda been pissed! My espanol es asi asi...though I mostly learned in el barrio...but still! WTH!!

I could see if you were in East LA or even in Miami, but you live in DC...and there was NOBODY around to speak English to the morning rush??!! Crazy!

Blogger Sha Boogie said...

Stop the madness. I am mad at that! See, I would have drove away pissed because I dont know if I would have gotten very far with my questionable spanish skills.

Blogger BK said...

Ok I have to laugh first!!! ok I'm done..

that's messed up but hell that's me getting mail in spanish from solictors cause they think I'm spanish cause of my name.. LOL

just yesterday I had one of our committee members say to me.. I WAS EXPECTING SOMEONE ELSE... the name I just knew you were a spanish girl.. *mofo*

Blogger Jameil said...

i don't speak spanish so she was going to have to figure it out QUICK. AND i would've complained. chile please.

Blogger aquababie said...

i would have to drive away. i don't speak spanish.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a perfectly understandable position to have.

Blogger Miss Snarky Pants said...

I was contemplating whether or not I should buy this tee shirt I saw just the other day because I instantly fell in love with the words that were sprawled across it.

In nice big/bold yellow lettering it read:

WELCOME TO AMERICA...NOW SPEAK ENGLISH!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to say that!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to speak any other languages. YOU WILL LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF THE COUNTRY YOU'RE IN. PERIOD. I refuse. ...and I woulda stomped in and bitched to high hell at the manager.

...but that's me and my 2cents. I can't stand that mess.

Blogger Don said...

McDonald's done snapped!

Like Aquababie, I would have kindly drove away. And yes, this was a rather grouchy post...lol

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...it's a bit annoying. I remember going to the DMV and the teller could not administer the eye test at the desk b/c the customer did not speak JUST A LITTLE BIT of English. OK...how are they gonna read safety signs or study for the road test? I understand the signs have pictures too but ...the teller was visibly annoyed. But guess what? They found someone who spoke spanish!

Blogger Lola Gets said...

Recently, a Latino woman in the car behind me tried to make me make a right turn on red, even though there was a sign. I pointed to the sign, but she kept trying to wave me though. Hm. Then it dawned on me, perhaps she couldnt read the sign? Or, perhaps, she was just a selfish, self-absorbed heifer. Either way, she sucked.

L

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer