.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Somebody's Watchin' Me
I don't know if it's a result of the full moon this week, or if I suddenly look completely different but over the last week or so I've been being watched/stalked/accosted/whatever you wanna call it by a bunch of foreign men. I don't normally care since I've been approached by non-American men many times in the past, and they've always been really cool. Had a few good dates and what not, so this is not a case of xenophobia. But something this week is just different and these men are breaching all kinds of American "holla at a girl" customs and I'm left scratching my head in bewilderment.

I think it's time for me to boycott the gas station that I usually go to near my home. I usually stop in there on my way to the gym to pick up a bottle of water, and I'm there twice a week to fill up my gas tank--a 60 mile round trip commute makes the twice a week fill up necessary. So since I'm in there for some reason or another at least 4 times a week, I guess I'm considered one of the regulars. I recognize the people that work there and so forth. But lately, over the last week or so, one worker seems to ALWAYS be there--Middle Eastern dude. At least when I'm there anyway. Tuesday night I went in to get a bottle of water for the gym and he said, "Ahh yessss, beautiful lady friend. When you come in here you make me happy. Soooooo happy. I mean all of me is happy. When you off work? We go out sometime, yes? I would like your phone numbers". I just wrinkled up my face and walked out. Then last night I stopped to get gas on the way home and the same dude spotted my car and ran...I mean ran to the pump to talk to me. He pushed my hands all off the pump and said, "Get back in your car, I pump the gas". I swatted at him and told him I could handle it. He looked crazy in the face for a minute then frowned and walked back. Umm, ok.

Last night at the gym, I was on the treadmill working it out when two African dudes come out of nowhere and get on the treadmills on either side of me. Mind you, there were at least 25 other free treadmills in the place. I don't take well to people getting next to me when there is free space elsewhere. Don't intrude on my workout bubble. But they started talking between themselves about me like I don't speak English or something. Talking all loud about "look at that ass" and the typical nasty man stuff. Ehh. But then one said to me, "In my country you'd be my wife and we'd have babies". I heard him, but pointed at my headphones and pretended like I didn't hear him. So he tapped me on my shoulder, I looked at him and he said, "you have the body of a good wife. Hips to have babies with". I was done. I said, "I don't know about where you're from, but in my country, saying stuff like that can get you hurt. That is not a compliment". I got off the treadmill, told the front desk person to keep an eye on them since they were harassing me. I went to the weight machines, and here they come looking at me all googly eyed and lustful. They didn't say anything else, but I made the rest of my workout quick and hauled ass home.

This morning, I was up extra early so I went to the grocery store to get some fruit to snack on at work and one of the workers...Brazilian maybe(?) said to me, "Yess, you are here early. I wait for you on the weekends because your face is so beautiful I cannot forget it". Yall, dude knows my daggone grocery shopping schedule. WTF!? That's not a sexy thing to say to someone, and I'm pretty sure some dude from around the way wouldn't say mess like that. I rolled my eyes, got my fruit, and kept it moving. Ewwwwwwww.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but these dudes need to learn to holla right. As much as I hate it, I'd rather deal with "ay bay bay" or "pssst...shawty" than knowing some sketchy ass men are watching me. *shudder*. Full moon be damned. But just because I can, here's the video "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell and Michael Jackson:



10 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

Tasha.. i don't mean to laugh but that was FUNNY!!! cause I can see your face when dude tried to pump yo gas!!! and yo givin him da WTF and he looking back like *I thought I did good thing* LMAO

now the two at the gym.. you good.. cause I woulda cussed dem both out in good american english that they wouldn't even consider looking at me again!

girl you need to start taking D with you to the store!

Blogger Ms.Honey said...

AHHHHHH

Why do most foreign men smell....hmmmm

On top of that how come when they flirt with you it never appears nice it just appears gross...

Blogger Sha Boogie said...

BWAAAHAHA!! OMG, that was hilarious. Gurl, you got them baby making hips! Don't stop, get it -get it! Foreign men got they hollers ALL wrong and it will never get right, as ignorant as it sounds, as soon as I hear an accent I'm gone the other way, because if you are that fresh off the boat there are some things we just aint gonna connect on.

Blogger Shai said...

LOL. Maybe its pheromones. Or could be because you are are happy you are attracting folks to that aura so to speak. Ever notice how you are at a good place in your life and in love with your mate and bam men come out the woodwork at ya. SMH.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally feelin' you...I get that feeling sometime as well. Let's just hope that's not the case :-)

Blessings & Nice Spot,

Autumn

Blogger Miss Snarky Pants said...

LOL.

Girl...hopefully, it's a lot more innocent than it sounds.

If all else fails, tell em' you got connections...ask em' if the word DEPORTATION means anything to em' :-)

Blogger Risa said...

I agree with Shai.......It's you...your vibes. You are giving off positive energy right now and believe me people feel it.
Take care have fun and have a good day!
Malieta:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are soooo silly! Hey, if you got it...you got it girl. Don't sit there and wonder why men want to get with you! Men know when they see a smart, beautiful, and intelligent woman. D knows he has a gem.

Good post.

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

"But something this week is just different and these men are breaching all kinds of American "holla at a girl" customs and I'm left scratching my head in bewilderment."

Ick...the "Parade of Losers" mentality has gone international.

Where some of these men come from, it's sadly the norm for them to talk to women the way they do. Women in their cultures are subservient---nothing but childbearing property to them. But just because they do that it doesn't make it okay, period.

I hope things get better and that this mess stops. It's a sad day indeed when you'd rather hear "shawty...got a man?"

Blogger Bare Arms said...

let's be completely honest here...you thought it was kinky...lol. I'm kidding. Be safe, change your routines. 1.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer