.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, August 17, 2007
A La Bella Noire PSA
On 1969's blog yesterday, she had a PSA about anonymous comments (I'm too lazy to link the post, so visit her from my side bar). I also want to add to that. When you leave frequent anonymous comments on someone's blog haranguing and harassing and insulting them on one topic (I mean like 8-9 comments in a day type mess), it is considered harassment, which is a crime--usually a misdemeanor, but in some places a felony. If done across state lines, then it can become a federal matter. You can try to hide your IP address, but it will come to the light because your blog software's records can be subpoenaed.

I'm telling you all this because I had to deal with it myself. I know some of yall saw some of "anonymous"'s comments a few posts back insulting myself and my D, but there were more posts from that person that I deleted. Some of you said that it may be a case of the ex, and you were partially right. Without getting into too much detail, I had to notify the county police where I live because the comments were out of control. The person was hiding their IP address from sitemeter, which I use to track visitors to my blog, but with investigation the IP address, service provider, and the subcriber's name/address/etc has been revealed. The State Police (where this individual currently lives) were also notified through my county police, and I'm currently in the process of trying to get Blogger comment records subpoenaed, because I will be pressing charges. The comments have actually been going on for about 4 months, when this person and I ceased friendly contact. This is potentially a federal legal matter because of the interstate nature of the harassment.

You may think I'm taking this too far, but there are some other facets to the harassment (including threats over the phone that have been recorded) that factored into my decision.

My whole point in explaining all this is that there are other, more grown up ways to air your funk with someone. If you have some beef with the blog writer, take it up with them...don't leave ignorant ass anonymous blog comments, because they can catch up with you in a legal way. You probably never intended on screwing up your life when you try to exact verbal revenge against someone.


6 Comments:

Blogger AR Gal said...

Whoever it is has messed with the wrong one. Get 'em girl!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW! Thanks for that info [committing it to memory!]

Go on with ya bad self, catch Mr. Anony.

Stay safe, have a fabulous weekend. :-)

Blogger Jameil said...

wow!!!!!!!!!!! GANGSTA!! love it. girl after my own heart.

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

That's a damn shame. The stuff people do under anonymity. Those cowards would never say anything like that to someone's face.

I hope justice is served in the end.

Blogger Leoninatl said...

I'm respecting your gangsta. *bows*

Blogger BK said...

LOL at respectign ya gangsta.. I know how you feel.. and to know that a person had to stoop "THAT LOW" AND mess up their "life" because of them being angry, stupid and petty makes no sense!!!

Do what you gotta do T.. thanks for the info though.. because you NEVER know when it may be needed!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer