.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Monday, June 25, 2007
They Call Me Mrs. Military
So this weekend was lots of fun, and that's probably why I'm left with some kind of head cold. Ehh, well I left work early to rest, so I can't complain too much. Friday I went to my stepsister's house for my stepnephew's going away party. He's leaving for a college summer program, and won't be back for any real length of time before he starts his freshman year. Do the damn thing boy!! I'm so proud of him, it seems like only a few years ago he was graduating from 4th grade. I'm starting to feel old cuz all of my stepnieces and nephews are either graduating or getting married (a few of them are my age, since most of my step siblings are old enough to be my parents, but I digress). A few of his friends actually tried to holla at me. I guess I'm kinda flattered that a whole rack of 17- and 18-year olds think I've got it. One of them even went the "I can treat you better than your man" route. He was like, "I gotta car and I stay in the basement so it's like my own apartment". I had to take a drink just so I wouldn't laugh. Awww, cute but boo you need to step up your game. Then another one tried, "I'mma buy you a drank!!". Aww, poor thing, you aren't old enough to buy alcohol yet...and we're at a HS graduation party for your friend, so everyone knows how old you are. No dranks for you!

Saturday I went to brunch downtown with the girls, and it was nice for all of us to get out without someone's boyfriend in tow. It seems like when we go out, somebody's man feels the need to tag along. As Sister Toldja would say, that's poor design. We likened ourselves to a better version of "Girlfriends", cuz none of us really have issues like that, lol.

Saturday night, D and I had dinner as usual and he said he was going to work late since he wanted to spend some time with me. It's hard for us since we work opposite shifts--he works overnights and I work a regular 9-5 so some days I only get to see him for about 2 hours before he leaves for work. Anyhoo, we got comfy and started watching a movie, and I fell asleep as usual. For some reason, if I try to watch a movie with him on the sofa I always fall asleep without fail. I guess this was all in his plan.

He went to work and left me sleeping on the couch. When I woke up, I felt something cold around my neck. I sat up quick and saw it was a dog tag on a chain. Now, if you don't know, dog tags are important to military people. It kind of serves as their identification, since it has their name, religion, birthdate, etc stamped on them. They wear them while at combat so just in case they get killed, people know who that body is. I have one of D's dog tags from Afghanistan on my set of keys for my mom's house. I keep them there because my mom's house will always be home, and home is where your heart is. D is my heart, so he's on my home keys. Sounds silly, I know, but it makes sense to me. Anyway, I woke up and saw a dog tag on this chain, and I thought it was his, but when I looked closer I saw it was stamped with:

Mrs. Military,
Will You Marry Me?


His nickname with his people is Military, so I'm Mrs. Military by default. His friends call me that sometimes, so it's cute. I went to the bedroom to get the phone to call him and I saw an envelope on the bed. I read the note, and it said...

"This is just the beginning. Not official yet."


I was all confused, so I forgot the phone and ran in the bathroom to get kleenex to wipe my eyes, but there was another note taped to the mirror. It said:

"You are cordially invited to a celebration of us next Saturday, time and location are classified information. Remember, not official yet"


I finally managed to get him on the phone and ask him what's going on and all he would say was "you'll see...you'll see". When he got home from work Sunday morning, I grilled him, but he only gave a little bit of information. He said the dog tag was the unoffical proposal, and to just be patient. So I guess I'm engaged now. Unofficially anyway, but that works for me. I know the ring is coming, but the dog tag means just as much because I know that to an ex-military person, those things mean so much. So now, that dog tag is on my every day keys cuz they go everywhere I do, and so does my love.

The rest of Sunday went by in a blur, but I did manage to catch a cold. Fun. *rolls eyes* I hope you all had a wonderful weekend too!


20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man you got me tearing up! Congratulations on this new chapter!

Blogger katherine. said...

I hereby bestow upon you the honor of the Rockin’ Girl Blogger.

I so enjoy what you write.

here ya go

Blogger Ladynay said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH snap! It's coming soon!

Why am I nervous???? Hands shaking and what not! LOL

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so sweet! I wish you two a long life full of love, health, and happiness. Soooo, unofficially........CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :-)

Blogger Jameil said...

omg!!! my mouth fell open and i'm mildly teary, too! wow!!! lmao @ I stay in the basement. too funny.

Blogger Unknown said...

CONGRATS TASHA !! ... i check your blog ever so often .,, but I rarely leave a comment.. I'm soo happy for you .. ..

Blogger Miz JJ said...

YAY!! I love to hear about black people in love.

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Damn, Tasha... ol' boy works fast!

Congratulations to both of you.

Um... can a brother get an invitation?

Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

my dad was in the military i know what those dog tags mean. plus I saw apocolypse now!

congrats to you!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd hate to rain on your parade, so I won't...

Blogger Tasha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Tasha said...

Thanks everyone!

Anon, if you didn't want to rain on my parade, why did you even start the comment like that? If you got something to say, say it mmk? We're all grown here

Blogger Ms.Honey said...

AWWWWW

I see how you tried to slip that in the other day on my comments I was like no she didn't..how she gonna leave me hanging LOL

I am SOOOOO happy for you...it's official to us women LOL...once those words have been uttered you know it's a wrap

WOOOHOOOO

When is the blog celebration LOL

Blogger Minerva Exertion said...

Congrats!!!!...unofficially.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say word? You joining the club huh?!?!

CONGRATS

Blogger aquababie said...

congrats!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tasha-

My earlier comment (that I didn't have the guts to make) was don't rush into anything. Not to say that you and D aren't the right fit.

In general, I've been engaged twice, and probably wouldn't have gotten engaged either time had I waited longer. 'They' say that one year is the 'minimum' period of time you should exclusively date before getting engaged.

This time I'm waiting to pop the question - much as I really want to right now.

I've been seeing the lady I'm with since December, 2006. She's in the process of selling her house and buying another one. I would really like her to move in with me (or to buy a house with her), but history has taught me to wait.

A year is a good amount of time to see each other through all seasons.

As you know, in any relationship, the newness and excitement often blinds those in it to the sometimes unpleasant realities of 'daylight'.

I wish you the best and support you in whatever you do.

Just wanna be sure my fav blogger doesn't get her heart broken.

Best wishes (sincerely)!!

Blogger Tasha said...

Thanks Anon, I appreciate the advice. I know where you're coming from as well. I've been engaged before also...(another story for another day!)

Blogger Miss Snarky Pants said...

Awwww....that's fantastic!!!

Congrats on the engagement Mrs. Military!!!! :-D

Blogger Sister Toldja said...

*Screeches*

CONGRATULATIONSSSSS!!!!!!!! I know I'm late, sorry!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer