.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Ladybugs
Sometimes little children can be so wise.

I went to visit one of my cousins today, and while I was there she asked me if I would watch her six year old daughter for a half hour so she could go to the store. I wasn't feeling much like it, but it would only be for a little while so I said ok.

My mind was all over the place trying to kick out some negative thoughts that have been lingering as of late. You know, new job worries, and general grown folks' woes. I guess lil mama could tell because rather than run amok like she normally would, she got up in my lap on the couch and laid her head on my chest.

Lil One: "Tasha, what's wrong?"

Me: "A lot of stuff on my mind. Just a little worried and sad."

Lil One: "Don't be sad. I see you crying. (wipes my face)"

Me: "Aww thanks. I'll be okay though"

Lil One: "Yes you will. 'Member no matter what happens to you, the grass is still green, the sky is still blue, and ladybugs are still red."

Me: "Why do you say ladybugs are still red?"

Lil One: "Because my mommy says ladybugs are good luck. So when you get sad think of ladybugs being red and you will have good luck. And I know you like ladybugs Tasha."

After she said that, she got off my lap and went back to playing with her Bratz dolls. She really had no idea what that statement did to me. In her little world, everything really is that simple. Sometimes with everything that we have to deal with, we forget that we are so small compared to the big world around us. I had to take three steps back and remind myself that nothing should be that serious.

When her mom came back, I went for a drive in some rural area (almost got lost too) and let out the ugliest cry I had in me. I haven't done that in so long, but it felt soo good. And what seemed like suddenly, I had all the answers I needed and my mind was back in focus. I guess it's true that little children hold the answers to adult questions.

Thank you lil cousin, you made my day. And yes, ladybugs are still red...


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children can truly be a help even though they are innocent and yet to learn so much.

I love being around my God children because they always brighten up my day. I could be in the worst mood and my Godson smiles at me with his toothless self and makes me forget all about everything stressing me out. The older one always makes me laugh with his song remixes and Spongebob thoughts.

I wish I could revert back to being a child when none of these things in the adult-life mattered.

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

I wish I could revert back to being a child when none of these things in the adult-life mattered.

I agree...a child's life is so artless and innocent. Life tends to be easier when we see it through a child's eyes.

And so glad you had that little cousin to sprinkle some positive vibes into your life.

Blogger Amar said...

Kids are great.

Lil mama dropped a gem:
"No matter what happens to you, the grass is still green, the sky is still blue, and ladybugs are sill red."

Words to live by.

Blogger Miz JJ said...

That one almost had me tearing up. Sometimes you need some perspective.

Blogger The Brown Blogger said...

Man sis, the shawties are amazing. I'm also glad you got that cry out as well. We all need a kind word and a good cleanse.

Feel 10 pounds lighter, huh?

Blogger Jameil said...

and a little child shall lead them...

that was dope.

Blogger BK said...

*hugs* dat was so special!!!! you NEVER know when the blessing is coming.. from the mouth of babes.. :)

stay strong lady.. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer