.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Double Dutch Bus
That was my JAM! "Dizzouble Dizzutch! Dizzouble Dizzutch!"

A few weekends ago when the weather was still resembling Miami, a bunch of my friends and I were feeling nostalgic (well actually someone started singing "Back in the days when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore, but some days I sit and wish I was a kid again..."), so we went to the church parking lot next door to where I live and played some of our favorite playground games. We played a mini-me version of dodgeball for about 20 minutes, then got down with the ropes. It took a minute for us to get our legs back under us, but it seems like double dutch is like riding a bike…once you learn, you never forget.

While we were playing, a group of about 4 or 5 girls walked by and asked us what we were doing. We told them that we were playing double dutch and invited them to join in. They didn’t even know what they game was, which was almost surprising to me, because many little girls seem to have an instinct of what to do with two jump ropes when the see them. I don’t even remember learning how to jump double dutch, I just remember always being outside perfecting my in-the-rope wannabe stunts from the time I was about six or so.

We showed the girls how to turn the ropes, then how to jump in the moving ropes, and then how to actually jump with the right rhythm. We tried to show them how to do some tricks in the ropes, but they weren’t getting it. After about 10 minutes, the girls had enough. They said that jumping rope was too much work and essentially too physical. They got tired very easily and were out of breath after only a minute or two in the rope, not even at a breakneck speed. One of them even asked if there was a double dutch game on xbox or playstation, because it would be easier that way and she wouldn’t have to sweat.

Well. Damn. And that’s all I’m gonna say about that.

Once those girls went about their business, we decided to dust off our four-square skills. As simple as this game is, I have never been good at it, so of course I got my ass handed to me with the obligatory “you can’t handle dis!” line of BS. Of course I have to redeem myself, so we’re going to go to Dave and Buster’s this weekend so I can whoop somebody up on those games!

Anyway, we had too much fun, but we all made a bee-line for the IcyHot the next morning. I couldn’t help but laugh when ol’ girl who was talking mess during the four-square game called me tombout (yeah I said it, leave my eblackabonics alone!), “Tash, I’m tryin to tell you you can’t handle….*silence*….*grunt*…Gotdamn I’m sore, I think I pulled something”.

Mmm hmm, yeah, see…that’s what you get for talking mess. But wait, can one of yall send me some more IcyHot please? *Immediately inserts foot in mouth*

Soooo, what were some of your favorite playground games?


7 Comments:

Blogger SomeOne said...

Thanks for stoping by tasha. I had to switch to google/blogger so now your comments show up as annonymous. GREAT.

Anywho....I never could double dutch. I can turn a mean rope, but can't jump to save my life. But I can play a mean four square. The only thing yall were missing in your game day was teatherball (sp). you know ball on a string attached to a pole. That was my game. My arms were always so red. But I loved it.

Blogger Tenacious said...

double dutch, tag, 4 squares, hop scotch, and swinging and jumping off when you got high enough

*lol* at littl girls, now that dont make any sense. kids are so lazy nowadays. i remember when we had to go outside regardless!!

Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

Dodgeball, handball, and tetherball were all great games. Especially when you were as good as I was at 10 years old.

Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I was just talking to someone about double dutch...I loved that game LOL then again jumpin rope was one of my favorites period...Swinging on the swings and jumpin off..man that was when life was easy :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite game was hide-the-sausage.

Blogger TDJ said...

Loved me some double dutch, hopscotch, red light/green light/123, TV Tag. Don't tell me ya'll forgot TV tag?

I'm laughing at those kids asking for a playstation version. Lazy azzs! Like Tenacious said, we had to go outside and we had fun playing whatever game somebody made up.

Blogger BK said...

LMAO.. omg.. I'm still laughing cause I LOVE to double dutch.. I USED to be able to do all kinds of stunts.. Ieven passed on my double dutch rope *telephone wire* LMAO to my daughter and now she and her friends are jumping too LOL

last time I jumped was at our company cookout LOL this past september

I'm real mad at is there a playstation game.. *sigh when will they learn that we need physical activity?*

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer