.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Another Legend Gone

James Brown, better known as the Godfather of Soul, passed away on Monday morning. It was very sad to wake up on Christmas morning to this news. Along with the popular music of the day, my musical diet growing up included lots of James Brown and other soul and funk acts of that era.

This man for some reason seemed invincible to death to me, I thought that he and many others including Barry White and Gerald Levert would live forever. I remember the first time I heard the refrain "Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" I asked my mom if they actually allowed that on mainstream radio because I knew that was something revolutionary to be saying. In one of my very first tap competitions I danced to "I Got You" (most of us know the song as "I Feel Good")--and won a trophy.

I'm sad to see another legend gone. The way our current music landscape looks, there are few poised to take the place of these voices, and that truly makes me worry about the future of our music. So much creativity has been taken to the grave, and I can only hope that the new generations can step up and leave a comparable lasting legacy of greatness.

Rest In Peace.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the day when you privately dance for me.

The song should definitely be "Private Dancer" by Tina Turner.

Blogger Tasha said...

I only allowed this comment to be published so I could ask WHO ARE YOU???

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer