.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Almost Sketchball Edition Update And a Slice of Humble Pie
Well I finally saw the kid who gave me the raunchy Christmas card. I told him I wanted to speak to him and he got all red in the face again, so I figured that he knew what this conversation was going to be about. Not so much. I sat him down in one of the quiet spots in the seating area of the cafeteria and explained to him that what he wrote was extremely inappropriate, but he wasn't trying to hear that at first. I could look in his eyes and see that comprehension wasn't clicking as fast as it does other times.

"But that's how I feel. I want to make you cookies on Valentines and do what I writed at you with you. I want you to be my girlfriend friend. Not friend, but girlfriend"

I had to explain to him why you can't just write or say something like that to someone you don't know and if you really like someone you have to handle things with more tact. I think he thought I was telling him that I hated him or something because he started boo-hoo crying.

"You don't like me ever at all do you?"

"I like you, you are a very nice person. But I can't be your girlfriend. I can be your special friend, but we can't do everything you wrote in your card. I'd be happy if you made me cookies though."

"You promise? Can we go on a date? No one likes me because I'm slow because my brain got sick. People call me retard a lot. You shouldn't do that, it's not good. So we're going on a date!?"

"How about this, instead of a date, you can come bowling one weekend with me and my friends after New Years. That should be fun."

"That's fun. Good. Thank you Natasha! Awesome! You're great! I know you can't be my girlfriend but I still like you."

He left the table beaming and left me there basically in tears. I didn't have it in my heart to further chastise him for writing such crazy X-rated material in a card, I think he got the point. I don't know if he came up with it himself or if he copied it from somewhere, but it doesn't really matter now.

I guess that's the best Christmas present I can give or receive this year--a smile and some understanding.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it worked out. And make sure that if he goes blwling with you that he's not trying to put his hands anywhere inapproporiate. That was a kind-hearted way of handling the situation.

: )

Blogger honeykbee said...

PLEASE make sure he understands what you meant by "bowling"! I'm not so sure he does...

Blogger old man neill said...

I've thought about the way you handled this all day today. How you were able to not crush what little dignity this dude had left, and to have been that gentle and understanding, yet firm with him...well, it's remarkable.

Keep up the awesome blog...it's one of my favorites.

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

Wow, you handled that with grace. Good job.

I really hope he got/gets the message.

Blogger Sister Toldja said...

Awwww. You handled that VERY well! Poor thing.

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Good for you, Tasha.

Blogger Tasha said...

@everyone- Thanks. I try to treat people with the dignity they deserve.

@jerzeygyrl: NOT a dick-in-the-box and a lacefront! BWAHAHAHAHA, see u around C&D

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer