.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Egg Foo Young
Some stuff you just don’t do, and you should just know better. My male co-worker has been asking all of the females at work if he can be our “egg-agent”. Basically, he’s trying to get us to sell our eggs to a fertility clinic for profit, which he’d take 30% of for recruiting you into the program. He’s been trying to hype up the fact that when you go through one cycle of egg donation, you make $5000, but he never mentioned all of the hormones you’d have to be put on nor did he mention the painful procedure of egg harvesting, the psychological evaluations, the genetic evaluations,the body fat restrictions, and the other inconveniences and unpleasantries involved.

He was really having trouble understanding why a bunch of us were offended by this. In his eyes, donating eggs would be no different than donating sperm or something, but he doesn’t remotely comprehend the personal sacrifice involved. All he sees is the potential for dollar signs. I can’t get up with his program. Now don’t get me wrong, I support infertility miracle workers, but I’m not ready to give my own eggs to this cause especially since I don’t have any children of my own.

I tried to explain to him how offensive and violating his recruitment efforts were, and all he did was get up in my face and tell me that I’m being unreasonable. $5000 is more important than anything else apparently. For crying out loud, why don't I just give him my soul for $5 while we're at it.

So this morning, I walk into my office only to see a voicemail left from yesterday afternoon. I listen and it's the lady from the fertility center calling to confirm my appointment for my initial consultation for egg donation. I called the woman back and asked her about this appointment and who made it because I knew I sure as hell didn't. She told me that she'd received my demographic information, etc from my co-worker and was trying to set up a time for us to meet and discuss everything.

I had to choke back the fury as I told her that I'm already familiar with the process and that I'm not interested. I had to explain that the person giving her the information is simply being greedy and money hungry. Thank God she understood, and she said she wouldn't contact me again, but if ever I wanted to take that step to contact her. Fine.

Him on the other hand, I can't wait for him to get to work. I'm so extra UNappreciative of him trying to sell MY stuff like that. How can you just give someone's personal information out like that? I'm mad, violated, all that. Really, I'm at a loss for words.

**Update** As I was writing this, one of my female co-workers who has also been being "recruited" but has no interest told me that she got the same phone call from the woman at the fertility place and is just as angry. We're going to have to get completely gangsta to deal with this. I hope it doesn't get ugly.


9 Comments:

Blogger Ms.Honey said...

What in sam nation? If he's so concerned about sponsoring eggs why not go on the corner or better yet donate his sperm..all of it since he doesn't seem to be using it...cause with an attitude like that I'm sure he's not getting any. How dare he violate you and your privacy by giving your information to the clinic and on top of that scheduling you an appointment...$5000 is just that money...and having a child is priceless...I wouldn't donate my eggs to just anyone especially since I haven't had any children yet and if I did donate my egg to someone I'd still want to be there to be a part of the childs life that's just me...

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

That's sick...and illegal. If there's any way to sue him and/or get him in trouble, do it. I cannot believe he had the gall to do that!

Blogger TDJ said...

Wow! I'm SHOCKED that he actually went so far as to give them your information. What nerve! I might have to puch homeboy down a couple of steps or "bump" him with a hot cup of coffee or something. Just to let a little agression out. *lol*

Blogger BK said...

HOLD DA ***** UP.. HE MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR YOU???

Son.. I would snatch his balls from reachin down his damn throat so far!!!! what in da hell?? Not only did he violate you, he is doing the same for other women.. I say honestly you REPORT his arse to HR because that is a form of HARRASMENT... and making your workplace a hostile environment.. *damn tha HR degree is coming out of me* but dammit to hell I would oops..

Where are my manners.. hey Tasha *wavin* thanks for visiting my spot.. and welcoming me into your own.. :)

Now back to ranting.. that dude GOT BALLS.. I would definitely be down his throat!

*waiting to hear the outcome*

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the real, I didn't even think he was serious when I first started reading the blog. Like that's something I would NEVER think of even asking someone. And to have them call you..WOW..Dude's bold. Real bold. Disrespectfully bold.

***Where are my manners?!?!? Hey Tasha...thanks for stopping by my spot. I'll be at yours now ALL THE TIME!!!!***

Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

You meet some of the craziest dudes in your life. But this one may take the cake. And the eggs, apparently.

Blogger Tasha said...

@honey-libra: Co-sign! I want to be a part of whatever life I create. That egg is worth a whole lot more than $5000 to me

@golden silence: I reported it to HR, and I'm trying to find out if there are any other repercussions I can follow up on

@tdj: I'd love to walk into him and be like "Ooooops, I didn't mean to drop my hot coffee, soup, and tea on you!"

@bklyn diva: Girl, I'm all over things with HR. I'll definitely post an update. And welcome! *hands you a "welcome to the blogfam" cupcake and a copy of the first season of "What's Happenin'"*

@anon: I hear you. Not a good look.

@alwaysfunkyfresh: Nah, he's real. I'm tempted to post his picture here so people know who to watch out for. And welcome to you as well! *hands you a "welcome to the blogfam" cupcake and a rock 'em sock 'em robot*

@ar-jew-tino: I'm surrounded by idiots at this place I call a job! I think I'm destined to meet all the crazy dudes in the world before I meet a normal one who's not gay or married.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT????

His ass must want to be in the unemployment line next week! The nerve of some people...

Blogger BeautyinBaltimore said...

Please watch this fool. Something isn't right with him. How can he go about the office asking women for their eggs. A woman giving her eggs and a man giving his sperm are not equal in terms of diffculty, pain,time needed etc.. You were right to report his ass too.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer