.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Saturday, November 04, 2006
For My Old Person
My grandparents, fondly named "The Old People" will always hold a very special place in my heart. My maternal grandparents especially were very instrumental in raising me. After my parents got divorced, they stepped in big time to help.

Some of my fondest memories are of joking around with my grandpa about all the chores I'd done at their house and how much money he owes me because manual labor isn't free. He'd always say, "You'll never be broke as long as I owe you money". This joke lasted 15 years. My favorite thing was to sit in his lap, I was mad when I got too tall to fit. Everything was alright with the world when we would sit together in his recliner and watch baseball on lazy Sunday afternoons.

My grandmother's sense of humor got passed on to me, and for that I'm grateful because she was probably the most hilarious little woman I've ever met. But she was the best cook in the Bronx (probably the world, but everybody says that about their grandmothers) and wouldn't hold her tongue for anything. She would cuss like a sailor and do it with a smile. I think this is where I learned how to tell off a sketchy man so nicely.

Anyway, six years ago today I lost my grandpa. It was the strangest thing because the night before he died I thought to myself, "Grandpa's going to die soon" and the next morning my mom called my dorm to give me the news. Two years and eleven months to the day later I lost my grandma, and this past April 4 I lost my paternal grandmother. My paternal grandad I never met, but I know he's deceased.

So every year, on the anniversaries of their deaths I'm understandably a bit more mellow than normal. I say a prayer of thanks for them, and since I blog so much and share lots of stories from my life, I figure I'd share my prayers. Today, for you Grandpa:

Heavenly Father, I thank you for having given me such a wonderful man to call my grandfather. While he had his human faults, he showed me what the definition of man really is. I thank you for all of the jokes, the stories, and the memories. I thank you for allowing him to have been the quiet source of strength that he was for our family. Thank you for the life lessons and thank you for his music. Thank you for allowing him to be a guardian angel, not only in life but in eternal life as well. Grandpa, I can only hope that the life I lead makes you proud, and I hope when it's my turn to leave this world that I get to see you again. I know you're in a better place, resting in peace. I miss you and I love you.
Amen


1 Comments:

Blogger Tasha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer