.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Monday, November 27, 2006
NYPD shoots a groom
I tried all weekend to make heads or tails of this story (another version of events here) about the NYPD shooting up an unarmed man on the night before his wedding day, and I'm still struggling. My stepsister, who is an NYPD detective, I'm sure has some strong opinions about what's happened, but she's done the honorable thing and hasn't said jack. I wasn't there, so I really don't know the true story of what happened. However, judging by the intense grief of the families and the tight-lipped attitude of the NYPD, this situation has the potential to damn the organization forever.

I could very easily pull the race card in this situation, but I'm going to wait until I more facts have been revealed. I will go so far as to say though, that I have never seen something like this happen where the races are reversed. I can't even imagine how something like that would play out. Anyway, what I'm most sad about is that the brother we lost seemed to be a good one. He was engaged to his high school sweetheart, the mother of his children. So many young men don't stay on the type of path to do good by their families.

As much as I try to play out every possible situation that could have occured that night, there is still no justification for this one. We had an unarmed 23-year old get pumped full of bullets, sustaining fatal injuries, all because he'd decided to marry the mother of his children and have a bachelor party at a strip club that just happened to be under investigation. Where is the sense in that? I'm furious, curious, and just plain sad. How many times does it take before we start to get things like this right? Just because you're in the "hood" doesn't mean that everyone is strapped. Damn NYPD, I thought they taught you that in police academy. Warning shots aren't supposed to kill people. Hell, I understand the need to protect themselves. After all, the groom's car did ram the unmarked police vehicle, and apparently at some point during the altercation, a gun was mentioned. But NO ONE was armed. Does it really take 50 rounds to see that no one is shooting back? That's where things go wrong for me. I know the cops were doing their job but seriously, 50 rounds? And NOT one shot was fired in retaliation? Something is not adding up properly there. And please spare me the "But they were at the strip club at 4AM the day before his wedding" garbage. Have you ever heard of a bachelor party? Damn, the same situation is played out almost daily across this nation. And you know more than likely that you've been in the same setting yourself--leaving the dance club, strip club, bar, or whatever else at some crazy hour of the night. So please, save your breath. Really.

May God rest that young man's soul. *Shaking my head*


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we tie the knot, I'll skip having a bachelor party.

Blogger Tasha said...

Sounds good to me lol. So what last name will I be taking? And I'll be Mrs. _______ (enter your first name here)? So when do I get my ring?

Kidding! Thanks for the comment though.

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Tasha, as you may remember, I am a professional firearms and use of force instructor for a federal law enforcement agency....

Tomorrow, my blog will discuss this issue at length.

GF

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

Sad how a human life can be taken so easily. I'm tired of these trigger-happy policemen!

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Don't rush to judge, GS... you don't know the facts yet.

Blogger Tasha said...

hopefully we'll be able to get all of the facts soon. I feel terrible for the family, and hope this can be worked out in the best way possible.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer